With the RedBaron 2.0 bearing down on the party and the soldiers of Sterngate, our heroes leap into action:
- Nick makes the Dm smile with a joke about tickling an octopus, causing Gilean to be able to damage the beast with a massive “lame lightning” bolt
- Miguera turns Gilean into a t-rex who pins the RedBaron
- Sergeant Tony commands his awful crossbowmen to fire on it
- Itachi, in Tony’s regiment, uses Color Spray on the thing
- Kai-El, as a bee, and Secret Scythe’d Smalls infiltrate the fort’s central column
- Captain Zak drives a javelin into the beast’s skull as Gilean finishes it off
Miguera and Gilean are jailed for their interuption of the military workings of the fort while Tony, disguised as a sergeant, “guards” the interlopers. Soon, two strangely robotic soldiers will come for Tony, Miguera, and Gilean. They are lead upstairs to meet with Itachi, who has been conversing with Captain Zak after she was impressed with his Color Spray during the battle.
The Captain confides in Itachi that she needs his services to deal with a special “problem” Sterngate is encountering. He is to be the lieutenant of his covert team of Dragonroost “civilians” whose goal will be to disrupt any peace talks in the area. This mission is critical because it ensures that the military can continue to use that conflict as an excuse to request support from the government of Breland (the governmentt doesn’t really understand how to manage this new military and as such has been stingy with its funding). Captain Zak, however, is convinced that a threat is still imminent from the East and needs to know she can support her troops until that time arrives.
Meanwhile, Smalls and Kai-El confront Linette on the roof of the Sterngate central tower. She is cryptic, to say the least, mentioning something about “The Plan” and revealing that Innocenzo Callavetti was Linette’s pupil in the past. She tells the druid and the rogue that Enzo has been manipulating them, that they are only pawns in a much larger game, larger than even Sarya Phiarlan can understand.
Linette’s powers are clearly very advanced, as shown when she plays with a “toy” she designed: a card that seems to be able to transform into a wicker chair. She also explains and brags about her role in designing the RedBarons for Captain Zak, implying as well that there is some sort of relationship between her and the Captain. As a result, she demands that our heroes help the Captain before Linette will reveal any more information. Consequently, our infiltration team joins with Itachi’s team to head out to Dragonroost in a few days.
During these two days, a few minor things occur:
- Kai-El attempts to replicate the transmutation magic of Linette
- Kai-El awakens a treant named Trent then promptly sets him free, telling him to satisfy his curiosity
- They go to get Roguish Rob but he’s run off with their “money”
- Leeway is dead but Kai-El reincarnates him as a Rock Gnome, although he remains unresponsive
Before the party finally leaves for Dragonroost, Captain Zak implies that they may be able to help with another task after this month-long assignment is over: the operation in Aruldusk (the town where the McMIllan Corporate retreat is going to happen),
Soon the party leaves for the town torn apart by the fallout of The Last War: Dragonroost.
Another adventure awaits our crack team of covert operatives! Will Tony dazzle them with his cooking skills? Will Kai-El stay transformed into a bee the whole time? Will Mikaelo settle into his new life as whatever job he manages to find this time around? WILL TRENT EVER FIND HAPPINESS??
Find out next time on ORIGINAL RECIPE ANGELS.